“The Chimp Paradox Review Part 1 “
October 6-2020@ 9:00 am PT
Vivek Rao provides this book review
The book “The Chimp Paradox” by Dr Steve Peters tells us that our chimp brain is the part of the brain where our emotions are, and the human brain is where our ability to think things through logically sits. Each has a different agenda:
Chimp Brain: survival, protection of the species, marking our territory. It deals with feelings & impressions, sees things as black or white, can sometimes be irrational.
Human Brain: Finding purpose, harmony, peace & justice. It looks at facts, structure, context and perspective as well as finding what is true. It deals in shades of grey.
He says the Chimp brain is like our pet dog. It can sometimes be unruly and it is our responsibility to manage it.
Our Operating Principles:
* Relationships before business (LA)
* You can get everything in life & business if you help enough people get what they want (Zig Zigler)
* Be helpful – with no expectations (Bill)
* We stand for positive possibilities and keep an open mind (LA)
* We deliver our messages with integrity – we deliver what we say we will deliver (Nathan)
* We never sell anything we are not prepared to deliver impeccably (Sue)
* We exceed expectations (Alanna)
* MOZ Code – TAGFEE – Transparent, Authentic, Generous, Fun, Empathetic, Exceptional (Jay)
* We are respectful, cooperative and collaborative (David)
* Our sessions are comforting (Jivita)
* We are building community (Fred)
* We are having fun (Vivek)
* We share our discoveries (LA)
* We respect each other’s time and outside commitments (LA)